Think about some of these first questions, then watch the video, and consider some of the questions that follow. Add your responses to the comments and join in our conversation!
We are Disciples of Christ, a MOVEMENT for wholeness in a fragmented world. As part of the one body of Christ, we welcome all to the Lord's Table as God has welcomed us.
- When you think of movement what comes to mind?
- In what areas of life do you feel stuck? In what areas is the church stuck?
- In order to be part of a movement, I must...
- In order to be part of a movement, the church must...
- Which description of “movement” rang true for you? What words were the most surprising?
- As Disciples of Christ, we strive to follow Christ. Cathy Hubbard understood the life of the disciples as a journey of change. What changes have occurred because of the church? What changes is God calling this movement to create?
- Michael Swartzentruber states a movement as being risky, bold, and creative. How does our church live out this understanding? Where are places where we could live this out more fully?
- “Syncopated with heaven!” Christal Williams offers us a vivid metaphor of “movement.” Where is our church in sync as we move together? Where might we need to find more syncopation together?
- Do you feel that Jesus and his disciples were a movement? Why or why not?
- If yes, if you were alive during that time would it have been a movement that you would have joined? Why or why not?
- If no, do you think Jesus intended to start a church or did he want to reform humankind? Why?
- What societal justice issue “gets your blood pumping?” Are you working in this area? Where?